District of Rychnov nad Kněžnou
Altitude: 253 m
Area: 52,5 sqkms
Population: 6 593
The town of Týniště nad Orlicí is located in Eastern Bohemia, 20 km away from Hradec Králové and 30 km from Pardubice. The town Týniště nad Orlicí is at the foot of the Orlické Mountains.
The town is situated at the confluence of Divoká and Tichá Orlice rivers in an altitude of 253 m.
The integrated parts of the town are small villages Křivice at in an altitude 273 m, Petrovice 243, Rašovice 248 m . The town Týniště nad Orlicí covers an area of 52,5 sqkms including the integrated villages. Population is 6593 inhabitants.
Municipal emblem consists of red coat-of-arms in which there is a pine tree placed and on its stem there is a white shield hanging with three black stripes. The municipal emblem is dated back to 1487 when Jindřich senior Minsterbersk re-established the privileges to the town.
It is unknown when the first settlement in Týniště nad Orlicí was formed. Experts assume that the village was established in the 11th century. The name Týniště reminds of an Old Slavic fort „týn“ and the word „týniti“ , which means to pick flax, as it used to grow plentifully in surroundings.
The oldest part of the town – square – is situated on a not too high cape created by the river at the land flooded Tichá and Divoká Orlice Rivers. The fort, through which an old trade route crossed here, was created under this cape. It lead from The Moravia to the North over the Náchod’s gate to Polish Kladsko. This route was crossed by a route from a center Bohemia to Poštejn, from there to Moravia and to Poland.
Settlement around Orlice began in the 11th century. The village was raised to a higher rank to market town and it is dated back to 1300. The first written record about the town Týniště nad Orlicí originates back to 1361 and it mentions the village Štěpánovsko back to 1336. Neighbouring villages belonged to the town then.
The Town of Týniště nad Orlicí was struck by fires in era of Hussite wars, when foundations and the church were burnt down. In 1454 Týniště was sold to King Jiří of Poděbrady. In his reign in 1470 the town was plundered, when Matyáš Korvín was on his run from Bohemia. In years 1495-1556 Týniště belonged to masters of Pernštejn and its administration was in Potštejn. This was a period of wise government-the pond net was built up here, which brought living for the town and people.
The following period was not so rich. The owners changed and at that time Týniště paid too severe toll to The Thirty Years War. Sternberks had owned the lordship since 1695. Vratislav from Sternberk, the highest burgrave of rank and royal governor bought the estate. In 1733 the town was struck by last big fire.
The construction of two railways in the town meant a great change: North-western rail from Prague to Hanušovice and the company of State railways from Choceň to Meziměstí. They were opened in 1874 and 1875 they made of the poor agricultural and craftman’s town an important junction which brought conditions to develop Týniště into an industrial town.
Since the middle of 19th century the look of the town hve changed as well. Wooden houses were dissapearing to brick buildings, housing was expanding along the roads, new streets and districts were established.
Týniště nad Orlicí was raised to a higher rank to the town in 1914 in accordance with the emperor’s decision. The forest surrounding the town provides inexhoustible welth. The forest of Týníště was called a large forest group, situated on the North from the town and from the South marked off by the road from Častalovice to Třebechovice. Its borders stayed unchanged for ages. The pine vegetation always predominated other woody plants and it is not coincidence that the pine is a part of the municipal emblem. The forests have always created living conditions for people from Týniště, but have also been landmark that contributed to the landscape. Their countless beautiful places tell about their long-standing history. They are saved by national parks founded in 1954. Preserve was founded in 1770 by Earl Filip from Sternberk.
Southern part of the town is lined by broad valley with Orlice River. The meandering river, the blind arms, the lay-by arms, the massive trees and remains of floodplain forests are a preserved example of a long natural evolution that complements beauty of the surroundings. The outstanding monument of the town is memorable „ Oak of Justice“ which is more then 340 years old. The tree is an eyewitness of tragic and horrific events-three historically proved executions.
An interesting workproof of ancient ancestors is Týniště’s race. Lead Alba 18 km long was finished before 1400. At one time the lead powered many waterworks-saws, water mills and washboards. The town became famous due to entrepreneurs of professions such as: tanning, wood processing-saws, production of furniture and mechanical engineering. After 1989 a great amount of business activities was established. There is a potential, that the town Týniště nad Orlicí will become a popular destination of home and foreign investors.
|Address: || Contact:|
Mírové náměstí 90
Týniště nad Orlicí